I consider this relatively healthy because it's only 2/3 cup a sugar spread over 16 slices and contains no butter. I read somewhere that real Italian biscotti should not contain butter; that butter is an American modification. Correct me if I'm wrong. I had XL instead of just large eggs at home, so I substituted a flaxseed egg for the other egg, which adds another healthier substitution without seriously compromising taste or texture. Also, if you use walnuts instead of pecans, you add omega-3 fatty acids to make it even healthier.
Cranberry Pecan Biscotti (makes ~12-16 biscotti)
1 large egg
just under 2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs ground flaxseed + 3 Tbs water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans (and walnuts, opt)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (make sure they are still dried yet moist, not hard and dry)
- If pecans are not yet toasted: toast pecans on skillet over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Let cool then chop.
- Mix flaxseed and water in a small bowl and let sit for a 3-5 minutes to thicken.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat egg and sugar till turns lighter in color. Beat in flaxseed water. Beat till light colored and thick.
- Fold the wet into the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Fold in the nuts and cranberries.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg Fahrenheit. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet or lightly grease the cookie sheet.
- Gather the dough (it will be sticky!) and place in a log-shape on the center of the parchment paper. Use a spoon to smooth out the dough into a longer log with even sides. You may use the parchment paper to help shape the log.
- Based on the recipe, you can bake a log that is about 12 inches long by 3.5 inches wide for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 8-10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 deg Fahrenheit.
- Slice into about 16 slices. Place slices cut-side down on the cookie sheet and bake for another 10 minutes. Flip over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove, cool at least 5 minutes and enjoy!