Friday, May 29, 2009

Taking the Plunge

I have to admit: I am a foodie. I've always spent a lot of time on food blogs, restaurant reviews, and restaurant sites. It's just how I wasted hours and hours of my day. By the nighttime, I'd look at the clock and realize that I have got nothing done - all because I was letting my eyes feast upon the amazing food people would make around the world. It just really is fascinating, though. Spending time on a variety of people's food blogs let me draw connections between all types of ethnic dishes. In the end, though, this was all just absorption without production. I feel the need to actually put these recipes and techniques that I'm seeing to something tangible.

Now that it's summer, hopefully I can actually start testing out recipes and learn how to cook. I'm pretty excited. The hard part, though, is competing with my mom! Wowee! My mom can seriously make the best food ever; not just traditional Vietnamese cooking that she's perfected since she was a child, but everything from burgers to pasta to curries. I want to learn from her this summer, as well as try out the recipes I've seen on others blogs. My goals are to learn to make pho, bun bo hue, pad thai, pancit, yeast breads, sweet and sour pork, and a bunch of other foods. I've always been labeled the baker at home (I admit, I have a sweet tooth!), so you'll be seeing some baking more often than not!

All right. My 3 month plan: start out as a simple amateur and advance to chef! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment