Friday, June 5, 2009
My Dad's birthday was Tuesday, and my mom wanted to get him a cake, so I offered to bake him one. That day, I asked (nonchalantly) what his favorite cake was, and he said it was pound cake! So, that night, when he was sleeping, I baked it for him, which was basically at midnight! Luckily, it finished sometime after 1 am - not too late. The recipe called for a loaf pan, but we couldn't find one, so I just did it in an 8" round cake pan, which probably was the reason 1 hour 20 minutes seemed to long for the cake to bake. If it wasn't for my mom, I would have left it longer in the oven and it would have burned! She told me to take it out. Mom's are so good. The cake came out very good, but I think I'll reduce the sugar next time I make it.
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beating well after each one.
3. Mix milk and vanilla together.
4. Mix the dry ingredients, then add in batches to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk mixture. Do not overbeat.
4. Fill the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown.
(Recipe adapted from Southernfood.about)